Monday, November 2, 2009

Classical Conditioning is a type of learning in which one learns to link two or more stimuli and anticipate events. Pavlov's Experiments are the most recognizable example for classical conditioning. A dog's automatically respond to food by salivating. They learn a conditioned response if you repeatedly ring a bell or set off some sort of sound to let them know that their food is ready. This causes them to salivate when they hear the sound. Operant conditioning is a type of learning in which behavior is strengthened if followed by a reinforcer or diminished if followed by a punisher. An example is the Skinner box. There is a bar or key that an animal presses or pecks to release a reward of food or water, and a device that records these responses. The difference between operant and classical conditioning is that in classical an organism learns associations between events it doesn't control and with operant an organism learns associations between its behavior and resulting events. For me I can apply it to my little sister Maggie. I often have to teach her things such as to stay away from sharp objects and potty training her or teaching her to say please and thank you.

Positive reinforcement: increasing behaviors by presenting positive stimuli. A positive reinforcer is any stimulus that, when presented after a response, strengthens the response. Example: When I receive a hug from one of my friends or a person that I like.
Negative reinforcement: increasing behaviors by stopping or reducing negative stimuli. A negative reinforce is any stimulus that, when removed after a response, strengthens the response. Example: I get up in the morning so I can stop the very annoying beeping coming from my alarm clock because even when I hit snooze the beeping comes back ater a while.
Punishment: An event that decreases the behavior that it follows. Example: I put Maggie, my sister, in time-outs when she misbehaves. Most of the time she stops misbehaving for a while.

One interesting thing I learned about was anitsocial effects. It makes me feel a little differently about the televisions shows I let my 3 year old sister watch. She is already rather violent little girl and that was probably caused by not only the television but the boyishly roughish way my brother played with her when she was younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment