Monday, October 26, 2009

First I would would explain how sensation is your senses working like the sensation of touch, taste, smell, sight, and hearing. Then I would tell them how perception is how your body analyzes and decides what is happening when you sense something.

I found the topic of perceptual set to be rather interesting. Like in the case with these pictures of the supposed loch ness monster, some people saw a monster and others simply saw a log. The way people can skew things in totally opposite directions is astounding.

I read the article; Psychology Of Magic: 3 Critical Techniques where magicians talked to psychologist about their magic tricks. Psychologists are interested in the principles of magic because magicians have been carrying out informal behavioural experiments on people for centuries and have built up a huge array of techniques - many psychological - to create their mind-bending effects.

Psychological misdirection is the more subtle way magicians perform their tricks. This is where the magician leads spectators to believe they've worked out how the trick is done. Once this 'solution' is suggested people are much less likely to notice the clues that crop up as to how it's really done.

I found this very interesting because I didn't think that magicians could trick us so easily. The subtlety of their misdirection is very intriguing and I wonder how no one notices.

No comments:

Post a Comment