Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Post #6

I interviewed my grandma and learned that teenagers then aren't that much different than teenagers today. They worried about their looks and craved jobs and such just as teenagers do today. Though I was surprised to hear that they didn't have any electives. They just studied the general subjects. And they were more relaxed about the future. I don't think I would have minded being a teenager at the time. They were more relaxed in school, not like they didn't try but they didn't plan the way we do for college as much.

It kind of reminded me of my family and I. I tend to get into absurd arguments over the littlest things with my mother all of the time. I don't usually get into arguments with my dad though, he's kind of mellow and hard to get mad at. Also I like to be alone now a lot too. Even though I fight with my mom a lot I think we still have a rather strong relationship.

In chapter 4 I learned a bit about gender and aggression. I was not surprised to read that men are more aggressive than wormen. That seemed pretty obvious to me. Also in a relationship violence such as slapping or throwing objects is often mutual. That surprised me a bit. Girls tend to slap a bit when their boyfriend annoys them or throw little things like pens and such, but I can't really picture guys slapping a girl. Throwing small objects that wouldn't hurt, yes but not slapping.

In chapter 5 I learned about the Sensorimotor Stage. Sensorimotor Stage is from birth to nearly age 2, babies take in the world through their senses and actions. Very young babies seem to live in the present, they lack object permanence- the awareness that objects continue to exist when not perceived. I found this interesting and makes me think that is why, like my baby sister, they cry so much when you leave their vision sometimes. They may think you don't exist anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment